Monday, February 4, 2013

Everybody loves cupcakes! Hannah made these last tuesday, and I had a great time photographing them! These are chocolate cupcakes (some were filled with peanut butter frosting) and then topped with peanut butter frosting! They were amazing! (I said "were" because they went fast!) I was really excited at the prospect of somthing yummy to take photos of. (even though they aren't good, it's still good practice and fun to experiment with!) First, I set up a bottom for it to be on, and a background. At first, I did both white, and as you can see below, it didn't turn out very well!




I used a really slow shutter speed for this one (I think it was ten seconds) and put the camera on a tripod. I also used a yellow piece of paper above it, and got my brother to push down the camera button while I used a flashlight and pointed it up from under the paper on to the paper. The light bonced of the paper and onto the cupcake giving it goldish tint. As you can see, this picture didn't work AT ALL! The background is really bland, and the cupcake needs somthing else. I don't like this one.

I tried doing it a few more times, then realized it was bland, and needed a change...



So I added GLITTER! I used the same shutter speed as before, and reflective light (the flashlight and yellow paper thing.) . Okay, it still didn't work. It's still  bland, and the lighting is off. The white background dosen't work. It washes the cupcake out, making it a pretty bland picture. The glitter is also unevenly dispersed. It's bland. (Did I say that already?=) 



Since it was bland, I decided to change the background. I chose orange because it reminded me of reeses peanut butter cups (and it's a chocolate penut butter cupcake.) I used the same shutter speed as before, and the reflective light thing. But it still needs somthing else, don't you think? It's still...well, bland. I decided to add more cupcakes in the background, and experament with that to see if it worked better.


This one is better, I think. It's a little more interesting, and I like how they are not all in focus, but the glitter in the right hand corner is over exposed due to the reflective not being centered. It's disracting, and takes away from it. Also, the glitter on the bottom isn't even (there's a big clump! uggg!=) and I should have taken the picture a little more even with the cupcake, insted of from above. So, I tried taking it from a different angle...


I like this one better...but it still needs somthing! Maybe....



Powdered suger? I like it 'cause it gives it more texture, and color. I think it needs more of the background in it though, to make it "pop" if you know what I mean!

This one has more background, (obviously!) At this point I decided to experament with different set up's....


Hmmm. Nope! Too bland! So I added somthing else...

A fork? I didn't use reflective light for this one.It made the fork shine too much! I dimed the lights insted, and it worked pretty well. It still needs somthing else,(maybe a candle or somthing?)  but by then I was tiered, so I quit!=)

Hannah did end up letting me have a cupcake, and they were amazing (as always. She's a good cook!)

Yum! Amazing!

I hope I haven't boared you...(I'm guessing I have!) See you later!

3 comments:

  1. I love how you gave it all in steps and how you got the finished product! They look amazing! And Hannah, I'm going to have to get your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome that you're experimenting on your own! I liked seeing all the steps and the different pictures :). And the reflective light is a good idea too. For future reference, I think white backgrounds usually work best if you have an extra light just on the background so it looks more white. Good job! Those last few are great! And the cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVED the ones she gave us - and the peanut butter icing FILLING was quite the fun surprise! Great photos. I like how you let us know how you made each of your photography decisions. The glitter was a great addition!

    ReplyDelete